Snúðar og snúðakaka - Rolled buns and Bun cake

This is a nice cake that appeals to kids. The buns can also be baked and served separately.

25 g cake yeast OR 2 1/2 tsp dry yeast
100 ml milk, skimmed milk or water
400 ml flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
30 g butter or margarine, soft
1 small egg (or 1/2 a big one)

1 tbs butter
2 tbs sugar
50 ml raisins or 1 tsp ground cinnamon

4 tbs confectioner's (icing) sugar
1/2 tsp cocoa powder (optional)
2 tsp boiling water

Heat the milk to 37°C and dissolve the yeast in it.

Mix the flour, salt and sugar together in a bowl. Crumble in the butter. Add the egg and milk, mix well and knead well. Set dough aside to rise for 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile you can prepare the rest of the ingredients.

Punch down the dough and knead again. Roll out into a rectangular shape, about 20x30 cm. Spread with soft butter and sprinkle over the sugar and raisins or cinnamon. Roll up into a sausage shape and cut into 10-12 slices.

To make a cake, arrange the slices into a buttered cake pan so that they touch and let them rise for 20-30 minutes. If you want to make individual buns, arrange on a buttered cookie sheet with about an inch between them and let rise for 20-30 minutes.

Bake on a lower rung of the oven at 200-225°C for 15-20 minutes for cake and 10-15 minutes for buns. Pour over the icing while still warm.


~~louise~~ said...

Hi Jo?
I just happened upon your blog while in search of information about Sólarkaffi- Sun Coffee. Thank you for sharing the information and thank you for this recipe. It sounds like a wonderful side dish to coffee.

I was wondering whether you know when the Sun Coffee celebration will be in 2010? I was thinking about sharing the celebration on my blog, Months of Edible Celebrations. My notes tell me it is sometimes in January or February. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again, Louise Bookmarked!!!

Bibliophile said...

Louise, the date for sólarkaffi depends on when the sun hits each fjord. In Ísafjörður it is held on January 25th. People from Ísafjörður who live in Reykjavík held theirs last Friday night and usually do so on the weekend nearest the 25th. People from Grundarfjörður living in Reykjavík are holding theirs tomorrow, Sunday Jan. 31st. The people of Þingeyri will have theirs on February 2nd. And so on.

lsdjgioerj said...

I wander what the buns here would taste like.

Genevieve Cox said...

Hi, I had these in Iceland and can't wait to try them back here. So happy to have found a recipe :) I was just wondering if you use plain or self-raising flour?

Many thanks xx

Bibliophile said...

Genevieve, I use plain flour. You can't buy self-rising flour in Iceland.

Mimi said...

Oh. My. God. I'm ALWAYS going to the bakery to buy these - 3months into a year in Iceland + these are my weakness ... thank you SO much for this recipe! I can now satisfy my cravings for these on those crappy snowy + icy days ^_^ takk fyrir! Bless bless!