Syrup cookies – Sírópskökur

These are popular spiced cookies you often see around Christmas in Icelandic homes.

200 g golden syrup (may be replaced with runny honey or corn syrup, but will be less flavourful if corn syrup is used)
250 g brown sugar
200 g unsalted butter
500 g flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 1/2 tsp ground cloves
2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 egg

Mix together flour, spices and baking soda. Add soft butter and mix until crumbly. Add syrup, egg and brown sugar and knead until smooth. Store in a refrigerator for 2-3 days. (BTW, this is not my recipe – I can not imagine that it needs to be stored for this long before baking. Overnight should be plenty of time).
Flatten dough until about 2-3 millimetres thick and use cookie cutters to cut into shapes.
Put on a lightly floured baking sheet and bake at 175°C on the centre rung of the oven until the edges of the cookies turn dark. Cool and decorate with icing.


Anonymous said...

Sæl og blessuð, Jo
I don't know how good you are in danish, so I will wright in english, because my Icelandic is not so good yet. I read it, but not wright it.
Well, I'm a girl from Denmark, and I has been in your lovely land several times, and I'm plannig to go again in march. I normaly stay at Fjörukráin, with my good friend Jói. You can take a look at my homepage, www.vanadisdottir.dk
I would like a contact with you, because of your wonderfull homepage about the Icelandic food (and I'm one of those, who actually like Hákarl).

Megi sólin skína á þig og þína og megi vættirnir létta ykkar veg.
Kær kveða Gudrun Victoria Gotved.

Anonymous said...

I am planning a trip to study in Iceland, so I am trying to find Icelandic recipes online to cook in prepare. These cookies are so great! I used half all-purpose white flour and half rye flour and it came out great. I also used honey instead of golden syrup because we don't have it where I live (Virginia, USA). I plan to make these again. Also, I found that if you pour the batter while it's still warm into a pan and cut them after they're done, you can skip the refrigeration time.